Those of you who know me know I frequent the ubuntu forums quite a lot. As a result I get to see all the things that users are having trouble with as well as all of the new feature requests. These are my top ten ubuntu forum feature requests. As a disclaimer I’m not sure about how feasible all of these ideas are, and I’m also not going to include things like, lets have better divers for X, because that will always be in my top 10. What I am going to post is features that I think could be included for gusty or even gusty +1.
10. [IDEA] Nautilus “Restore from Trash” – This is a very well laid out request while I wouldn’t use it, I’m not even sure that many users, and it would give Ubuntu that extra polish.
9. [IDEA] Modify the installer so that it asks for Timezone instead of City. – Maybe not modify but at least have an option to list a timezone instead of picking the nearest city.
8. [IDEA] Reliable Kill for Fullscreen Applications – Now I know that there are ways to do this, and they where suggested in the thread. But I think what this really brings up is that ubuntu should ship with an easy way to access the System Monitor, I suggest ctrl + alt + delete
7. [IDEA] Auto removal of old kernels – I often hear users saying “why do I have 3 versions of Ubuntu installed on my computer” now while I think its a really bad idea to auto remove old kernels maybe pop up a message that notifies the users that extra kernels have been detected asking them if they want to remove any of the old ones (Personally I always keep two kernels, the current one and the previous one just in case anything goes wrong). It would be best if this program asked the user after the next boot so that they could make sure everything works.
6. [IDEA] Bring back screensaver settings – The new default screen saver configuration gui for Ubuntu wont let you change your screen saver settings. Users don’t want GLText to say the computer name and its Linux version they want to be able to customize it to say “Ubuntu rocks”
5. [IDEA]: Warning about disk being full – Another very common problem users seem to have is that they fill up there disk, and so they can log into gnome now I’m pretty sure that gnome now gives a more friendly error before it logs you out, but a lot of users have beryl installed so they are unable to see this error. Also its a bit late to warn the user after the disk is full don’t you think. It would be great if users could be warned, before the disk was full.
4. [IDEA] External Monitor Support – I’m pretty sure I have seen programs that do this, but a nice little gnome applet would be perfect.
3. [idea] Fix the delay when searching in Synaptic – It is very easy on the ubuntu forums to find someone looking for package X, I’m sure I have answered hundreds of these questions in the past. When I get a question like this I usually fire up synaptic (actually most of the time it sits open in my task bar) and I search for key words, or if I’m pretty sure I know the program name I search for the program name. Synaptic search is a bit slow, now I know that there are 21382 packages in my repository at the time of this post but still, I can search my music, around 6000 songs, faster than that. I’m not sure if its possible to include this feature but its one that I would love to see.
2. [IDEA] Graphical Frontend for xorgconfig (dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg) – I’m pretty sure that this one is in the works, in fact I was even going to point it out to the guy who posted the thread but some one beat me to it. This is one of the biggest problems that users seem to have is configuring there displays, and I must say after installing the propitiatory nvidia drivers I haven’t looked back at all since I’m now able to configure my box with the nvidia-settings tool.
1. Allow Us To Vote (like ideastorm, digg, etc.) On Ideas Here. – To me this would be a great way to connect the developers to the users. Now I know the problem is that a lot of features would get suggested that could not be done for whatever reason. So I suggested having a little vote for this idea button, kind of like the thanks button this would would at least let the forum ambassadors know what the users want so they could let developers know.
These are all just features that I have found while browsing the forums and I know that there are better ways to suggest features, I just thought it would be fun to keep a list of what users where asking for.